The city of Auburn, New York, sits at the northern end of Owasco Lake. A city rich with history and tradition, Auburn is highlighted by grand old homes like the Seward House, home of William H. Seward, Secretary of State in the administrations of Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson. While the city is small, it offers attractions ranging from professional baseball and waterfront recreation to theaters, museums and annual events.
Auburn was originally inhabited by the Tuscarora Indians, members of the Iroquois League. The area remained Iroquois territory until it was taken over by European settlers. In the late 1700s, Captain John Hardenbergh, a Revolutionary War veteran, settled near present day City Hall where he built a cabin and gristmill. Soon, several mills, a stagecoach stop and a tavern sprang up on the Owasco Outlet. The settlement became known as Hardenbergh’s Corners. By 1810, there were fourteen mills along the Owasco Outlet which produced items like linseed and sunflower oil. The town’s name changed to Auburn in 1805 when it became the county seat. The name Auburn was derived from a poem by Oliver Goldsmith called “Deserted Village.”
Emerson Park, at the northern tip of Owasco Lake, features the Merry-Go-Round Playhouse, the Emerson Park Pavilion, and the Ward O'Hara Agricultural Museum.
Take a trip to Falcon Park and check out The Auburn Doubledays–the minor league baseball team that plays throughout the summer. A great time for the family!
The Willard Memorial Chapel is a priceless work of Tiffany's beauty and craftsmanship. Take a tour and learn about the Chapel's history.